- 130g white fish – blue nose or hapuka, scaled and pin-boned
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 limes
- 1 pomegranate, halved
- 1 thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, peeled
- extra virgin olive oil
- a few fresh baby basil leaves
- With a sharp knife, slice the fish as finely as you can and put it into a bowl. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Finely grate the zest of the limes into a separate bowl and set aside. Squeeze the lime juice over the fish, this will start to cook the fish and you will see it change colour.
- Remove the seeds from the pomegranate halves by holding them one at a time, cut side down, in the palm of your hand over a bowl, and tapping the back with a wooden spoon.
Lay the fish out in a single layer on a serving platter, then sprinkle over the lime zest and scatter over the pomegranate seeds. Finely grate the ginger over the top then finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a scattering of baby basil leaves.